Saturday, December 12, 2009

Habitat for Humanity STL

I had a great time at the Habitat for Humanity Saint Louis  Volunteer Orientation this morning. Earlier this year I had the opportunity to work their first commercial De-Construction at an old Schnucks Grocery. I learned some good techniques from the veteran workers and it prodded me into finally getting a tool belt and steel-toed boots (Redwings which are the warmest, most comfortable winter weather shoes I now own.) My Christmas list this year was mostly hand tools I realized that I don't own, but would be useful on a build site - and in my own home!

Now I am ready to take on an actual build, whenever the schedule is posted, and depending on my employment situation. Today I learned that all 24 of the 2009 STL houses built are LEED certified at the Platinum level! Also, the new homeowners are not given the houses, they are provided loans at no interest and must put in a bunch of sweat equity, the hours equaling pretty much a down payment.

Hey Saint Louisans - are you interested in joining me on a build? Any former APO-ers (Alpha Phi Omega, national co-ed service fraternity) jonesing for a service project? Anybody in need of service hours? No construction experience needed, just the urge and orientation!

 
The next Volunteer Orientation is Saturday, January 9, 2010, 9:00am - 11:00am in the building attached to ReStore.  I've mentioned ReStore before, as a wonderful place to pick up good used appliances and materials, along with new stuff from construction overruns or overstock from retailers and manufacturers. A bargain for homeowners and a wonderful resource for art or craft projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment