Monday, November 23, 2009

NaBloPoMo Day XXIII: Thanksgiving Day Menu

Appetizers - Cousin Rachelle is taking care of this, and no clue!

Cocktails - I have Asti and sparkling grape juice to be poured over fresh pomegranates & cranberry-pomegranate juice.


Turkey - pick up on Wednesday from Seibert Meats in Soulard. Brine overnight, then get up early to rinse, pat dry and air dry in the fridge before heading into the oven - makes a nice crisp crust and moist meat. Only a 12-14 pound bird, as it will be me & hubby, Ma & Pa, Aunt Jan, Cousin Rachelle & her boyfriend Kris. We have room for one more at the table, if anybody is hungry. We could also set up a kiddie table if a bunch of you are interested.

Gravy - I started a turkey neck (from Souldard) & veggie stock, now in the fridge, ready for makin' gravy! Will make a roux and generally follow Cooks Illustrated instructions (hereafter known as CI.)


Sausage & Apple Stuffing - an amalgamation of my MIL's recipe, my best friend's mother's recipe, and CI.

Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes - This version is less fat than the classic mashed 'taters. Last time I made it to go with Christmas Prime Rib and included leeks. Credit: CI

Roasted Sweet Potatoes - I've been making single servings of this by peeling the sweet potato, cutting into 1/2" dice, tossing with EVOO, kosher salt & fresh cracked black pepper and roasting until the edges are Carmelina. Drizzle just the slightest bit of real maple syrup, and you have a wonderful alternative to the version that is mashed & smothered with marshmallow goo.

Sauteed Green Beans with garlic & herbs - a lighter alternative to the traditional green bean casserole (which I personally can't stand, even though I was raised Lutheran!) Credit: CI

Dinner Rolls - one component that is actually better prepared ahead and stored in the fridge. I'll take them out in the morning to let rise 6-8 hours, then pop in the oven for that wonderful yeasty aroma. Credit: CI.

Cranberry Relish - Mum is taking care of this one, from a recipe she begged off of ??? (completely slipped my mind at the moment.) I will have a can of the gloppy stuff on standby, if anybody insists.

Pumpkin Cheesecake - Cuz Rachelle is preparing this one, and I am very excited, as I came close to choosing to make it myself!

Rustic Apple Tartlets - Another CI recipe I have used in the past, to great success. I starting the crust this evening, as it will keep, wrapped well, in the fridge for a few days.

Whipped Cream with a hint of orange zest - To top the tartlets (or the cheesecake, or coffee)

Decaf Coffee - my favorite coffee place, Foundation Grounds in Maplewood, carries Goshen Coffee Company - 100% organic and sustainable farmed. Current favorite: Venezuelan.

1 comment:

  1. Your Thanksgiving menu sounds very delicious. It's very similar to our traditional Canadian Thanksgiving menu. I must say that my favorite part of it is the pumpkin pie. I can't imagine Thanksgiving dinner without it. This year was the Thanksgiving very special in our family because most of our family came to spent Thanksgiving with us. It was great day.

    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Jay

    ReplyDelete